Sprint starts slowing LTE speeds of heavy data users on unlimited plans

18 Oct 2015 | Author: | No comments yet »

Sprint Throttles Unlimited Data Users That Surpass 23GB Of Monthly Data.

Sprint, the American telecommunication company on Friday announced that it will start to throttle the connection speeds of its unlimited data customers.The company, which is the fourth largest mobile carrier in the US with nearly 58 million subscribers on its books, said that it was “unfair” to allow such behaviour to continue unchallenged, given that 97 per cent of its subscriber base did not hog the network’s bandwidth.Oh no, a minority of insatiable data guzzling wireless users on Sprint’s network are crowding up the joint and leaving no room for the other 97 percent of responsible users, something must be done!

As of now, customers who “occupy an unreasonable share of network resources” will see the service throttled for the remainder of their monthly billing cycle, warned Sprint CTO John Saw. It seems, then, that Sprint simply yanked its previous policy to bring in a different version that might just satisfy regulators at the US Federal Communications Commission. “We are introducing a new Quality of Service (QoS) practice that applies to customers who choose an unlimited data handset plan launched 16 October 2015, or after, or customers who choose to upgrade their handset on or after 16 October and remain on an existing unlimited data plan,” he said. John Saw, who warned the wireless carrier’s unlimited subscribers that using more than 23GB of data in any given month could have performance consequences. That’s really a nice way of saying throttling. “This QoS practice is intended to protect against a small minority of unlimited customers who use high volumes of data and unreasonably take-up network resources during times when the network is constrained,” Dr. Earlier this year, Sprint drew criticism after trying to limit the amount of data that customers could use for streaming videos — despite advertising it as an unlimited “All In” data plan.

And performance for the affected customer returns to normal as soon as traffic on the cell site also returns to normal, or the customer moves to a non-constrained site.” The new prioritization policy went into effect on Friday and applies to all new unlimited data subscribers. Sprint’s attempts to justify this practice by suggesting that it is only “three percent of [the carrier’s] postpaid subscribers [that are] using overwhelmingly disproportionate network resources.” Meanwhile AT&T’s Unlimited Data throttling sits at a 22GB end-gate. Presently around 3% of their postpaid subscribers use disproportionate network resources; their new scheme will prevent the 3% of the users from going beyond their data limit and will also prevent them from negatively impacting the other 97% of customers.

Sprint added, “Today’s wireless networks are sophisticated and complex, but what our customers want is simple – to access their information and entertainment with a simple click.

Here you can write a commentary on the recording "Sprint starts slowing LTE speeds of heavy data users on unlimited plans".

* Required fields
All the reviews are moderated.
Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts


ICQ: 423360519

About this site